Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Ready to Relate

I’m writing this on the first of March. It’s been a week and four month since my Total Knee Replacement. I can finally say for the first time since my surgery that I am better off for having it done.

I wasn’t expecting the recovery process to be easy. But I had no idea what was in store. The pain level was in the upper levels day after day. The only difference seemed that some days were worse. Forcing myself through the rehab exercises when the wound site was so raw was excruciating. Sleep was difficult because the pain seemed even more acute at night. I stopped writing for lousy reasons, my computer crashed, and I was experiencing a level of doubt with regard to the wisdom of my choice of going so far for such a major surgery. I stopped writing about my pain, apprehension and misery. Now that I'm over the enormous hump of healing I feel inclined to finish this account.

I spent three weeks with Tom, Maureen, and Helene right after returning from India. It was dawning on me at that time just how intense my recovery process would be. I did appreciate the fact that this whole episode was giving me discretionary time. I really enjoyed my stay with my family. It rekindled the family bond I’ve always felt especially for my brother. He’s a most extraordinarily kind, wise and fun loving man. The daily ritual of rising early in his home with his wife Maureen, talking every morning about the coming day’s activities, watching the glorious New Mexico sunrise, was precious. I did my exercises that I was instructed to do in India. But early on I suffered a set back by using ankle weights. They had me using 2 pound weights in India, but at home I had 4 pounders. I figured this would be OK, but it was too much and really irritated the traumatized tissues. The weight of the responsibility of healing through this intense surgery, without the support of a medical team was hitting me dead on. I checked in with a Physical Therapist while in Albuquerque. Jean reassured me that what I was experiencing was in the realm of normalcy for my acute incision. She refined my exercise routine. The best therapy for me while in New Mexico, aside from the love I felt there, was swimming in the Sandia High School Pool. It was conveniently located just a few blocks from the Wilmot’s home. The water was chilly. Much colder than I’m used to having access to the Hot Springs Pool, but the coolness was really good for my inflamed tissues. The freedom of movement was sublime. My pain diminished while in the water and I looked forward to this avenue of relief most evenings.

Steve drove down a week into my stay. It was the first opportunity that time permitted acquaintance between my new boy friend and Tom & Maureen. Steve is quite different from anyone else in our family. He’s a life long organic vegetarian and fabulous musician. Because of a genetic condition that has affected his ability to breathe he is forced to take life slowly. We are used to jumping out of bed and before long getting after the days required work load and chores. Steve sleeps in and gets started ever so slowly as his lungs sometimes loosen up for the day. While we’re robust diners and thirsty most evenings for some concoction of alcoholic delight, his eating and drinking habits are extremely moderate. He’s totally likeable. But if you’re judgments of a person is just how quick one is to pitch in to do the dishes, take out the trash and pitch in unasked on daily chores, well Steve’s not a ten. We stayed two more weeks enjoying pleasant company, celebrated Thanksgiving, and me ticking off these first weeks of healing from the deep wound purposely inflicted and solicited in hopes of a better future.

No comments: