Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Help, I Need Somebody

I have had enormous amounts of help through this healing process. I didn't have a medical team it's true. And as intense as the long arduous process of healing became, I was left wandering many times if everything was going along in a natural progression. I trusted for the most part that this was true. In Albuquerque Maureen researched Homeopathic Remedies that would aid in healing after surgery. She provided me with doses of Rhus Tox, Ruta Grav, and Calcarea Phosphorous. I massaged my wound site most nights, the knees being the very easiest part of the body to practice self massage. I received acupuncture from Kathleen Menten. I rode my stationary bike everyday. Steve has witnessed many athletes who rehabbed severe knee injuries by riding every day. The PT's in India also recommended this form of therapy as being very successful for knee reconstruction. I utilized my own Watsu therapy pool as well as the Hot Springs Pool. I used infra red sauna. I purchased sessions with John Norton, a personal trainer who owns Accelerate Human Performance. He has a vibrating platform that shakes you as you exercise, apparently to the cellular level, which felt really good to be on. I also used his treadmill. It was a real icy winter and walking was treacherous even for the able bodied which I was not, so being able to walk safely on a controlled walkway was a big deal. I sought the wisdom of Shannon Zalenka, a PT in town. My quads and ham strings had drastically atrophied. The slow process of waking up these necessary muscles was her main focus. It was really scary to be as weak as I became while the trauma of the surgery slowly healed. Some days were worse than others. I just didn't seem to be making a major breakthrough in terms of reduction in pain and in spite of my efforts, I seemed to be loosing strength. I had no choice but to have faith that the body heals, that my surgery was done properly, and in time I would be OK. One month turned into two turned into three, still I felt so traumatised. Dr. Sanjay Pai told me upon leaving the hospital that it would be four months before I would forget about my knee. Right around the four month anniversary I had a good day. I slept without pain that night and walked quite easily the next day.

This phase didn't last but a day, but it proved to me that I was on the right track. From that point on there was no doubt that my strength and vigor was returning. It's a thrilling sensation to behold a strong joint that doesn't waver as I move through my days.

1 comment:

Bethany Rose said...

Glad to hear you are feeling better. This is been pretty rough for you and I am sorry. If there is anything I can do - please call.
Love, Bethany Rose